Monday, September 21, 2009

UbD DI Chapter 6

This chapter seemed a little bit hypocritical when it was talking about being prepared and then saying we, as teachers, need to also be flexible. I feel I will have a hard time teaching on the fly and coming up with something that will work for all of my students. Some of the planning strategies that were mentioned, however, seem very relevant to the classroom. The analogy to the sports was accurate. “It should never be the case that some students are consigned to sideline drills while others consistently play the game” (pg 85 Tomlinson and McTighe). Even though I was personally one of the students immediately put into the “game,” I wished that my teachers gave me some more “sideline drills” so that I succeed with a better understanding. I also see that as a teacher, I cannot simply focus on the drills if I want my students to be interested. I know I would not want to do layups all the time for basketball and never get to use that skill in a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment